Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Beans, Beans - They're Good For Your Heart {AND MORE!}


Three pounds of dried beans -- $2.00
One Large Plastic Container -- $4.00

A happily entertained toddler who is stuck inside with me? 
PRICELESS


There are days when we're homebound all day - due to weather, illness or just my general lack of enthusiasm about completing laundry. On those days, I find it pays to have a special "something" up your sleeve. My newest device? The sensory bin.


I knew that kids went gaga over those bean filled tubs in the preschool room where I used to work so I figured I'd give it a try at home.  The tablecloth under the bin worked perfectly to collect any spills.


 The beans alone amused Claire for quite a while. She scooped, squeezed and dug for a good half hour. Once the zoo animals went in she pretended to be a zookeeper feeding the animals (beans) and scooping their poop (beans). This cycle of eating and pooping seemed perfectly reasonable to her.


This is our first venture into sensory play (aside from our summer sandbox) and Claire needed some gentle reminders about keeping the beans in the bin. There was one accidental tip over, but thanks to the tablecloth it was a quick clean up. All in all, it was a successful experience. I can't wait to try filling our bin with new things: rice, lentils, water or perhaps even shaving cream!

See our festive heart garland in the background? I just discovered our library's Ellison machine. There will be lots of die cut goodies gracing our house and art in the coming months!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Receiving comments from friends and family make blogging very rewarding! Leave your messages below and I promise they will also get passed along to Claire!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin