Friday, February 18, 2011

Oh My Sweet Beets! We Love This Dip.

beet-photo

Beets thrived last year in my garden. Tucked under the soil, they were safe from the deer and Claire’s busy little fingers. My cherry tomatoes didn’t make it to the table with my daughter’s constant snacking and let’s not discuss my zucchini plants that didn’t produce ANY zucchinis. This is three years in a row I’ve had zero luck with the most “prolific” of garden veggies. I was led to believe that zucchini were like the rabbits of the veggie kingdom. What on earth am I doing wrong?

DSC_0321

I slightly modified the original recipe because I had tahini on hand and no fresh garlic (shocking, I know).
  • DSC_03271 Large Beet, Roasted and Peeled
  • 1 Can White Kidney Beans (Drained and Rinsed)
  • 1/4 Cup Olive Oil
  • 1 tsp Lemon Juice
  • 1 Tbsp Tahini Paste
  • 2 tsp Garlic Powder
Throw it all in the food processor and pulse until smooth and creamy.

We like to enjoy our hummus with cut up veggies and pita chips. This hummus has a mild flavor, even with the tahini in it. I think toddlers would find the color quite appealing, it’s unusual to find a savory food this shade of pink! I’m blessed with a kid who isn’t picky about her food, but I’m thinking this would be a great way to introduce beets to a picky eater.

Forgive the watermarking on the images but I've found some of my stuff cut and pasted onto other people's blogs. How annoying! If they're going to swipe my photos they're going to be forced into taking my name with it now. I've got the originals and will happily send them along, just email me or I'll set up a private Picasa site or something.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Receiving comments from friends and family make blogging very rewarding! Leave your messages below and I promise they will also get passed along to Claire!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin